Are your Kids Safe? Are you Conforming with National child restraint laws?
70% of childcare restraints are incorrectly fitted, posing a serious safety risk to children travelling in them. All children must be safely fastened in the correct child car seat for their age and size. A child who is properly secured in an approved child car seat is less likely to be injured or killed in a car crash than one who is not.
DNC invites local parents and carers to book in for a free child care restraint fitting or safety check.
The National child restraint laws require:
- Children up to the age of six months must be secured in an approved rearward facing restraint.
- Children aged from six months old but under four years old must be secured in either a rear or forward-facing approved child restraint with an inbuilt harness.
- Children under four years old cannot travel in the front seat of a vehicle with two or more rows.
- Children aged from four years old but under seven years old must be secured in a forward-facing approved child restraint with an inbuilt harness or an approved booster seat.
- Children aged from four years old but under seven years old cannot travel in the front seat of a vehicle with two or more rows, unless all other back seats are occupied by children younger than seven years in an approved child restraint or booster seat.
- Children aged from seven years old but under 16 years old who are too small to be restrained by a seatbelt properly adjusted and fastened are strongly recommended to use either a forward-facing seat with an in-built harness for older children, an approved booster seat, or an approved child safety harness in conjunction with the vehicle’s seatbelt.
- Children in booster seats must be restrained by a suitable lap and sash type approved seatbelt that is properly adjusted and fastened, or by a suitable approved child safety harness that is properly adjusted and fastened.
Our professional fitters will check that your existing car seat/restraint:
- meets AS/NZS 1754, version 2004, 2010 and 2013 – look for this information on the seat
- has not been in a crash
- is not more than 10 years old
- has all its parts and that any buckles work smoothly
- has no splits or cracks
- has straps and harness that are not frayed, worn or damaged
- has an instruction booklet.
They will professionally fit your new car seat/restraint.
When? Monday 10 October 2022
Where? At DNC, 13 Camp St. Daylesford.
Bookings are essential. Parents and carers (including grandparents) can book in a free childcare restraint fitting or safety check by going to https://safeseatssafekids.com.au/ to make a booking.
Bring the whole family for this community activity and enjoy the Free Sausage Sizzle.
DNC Joke of the Week
A customer at the fish shop marvelled at the owner’s quick wit and intelligence.
‘Tell me, Simon, what makes you so smart?’
‘I wouldn’t share my secret with just anyone’, Simon replies, lowering his voice so the other shoppers won’t hear.
‘But since you’re a good and faithful customer, I’ll let you in on it. Fish heads. You eat enough of them, you’ll be positively brilliant.’
‘You sell them here?’ the customer asks. ‘Only $4 apiece’, says Simon.
The customer buys three. A week later, he’s back in the store complaining that the fish heads were disgusting and he isn’t any smarter.
‘You didn’t eat enough’, says Simon. The customer goes home with 20 more fish heads. Two weeks later, he’s back and this time he’s really angry.
‘Hey, Simon’, he complains, ‘you’re selling me fish heads for $4 a piece when I can buy the whole fish for $2. you’re ripping me off!’
‘You see?’ says Simon, ‘you’re smarter already.’