We’re delighted that the archive project at Christ Church is working again on the most amazing rich historical records of not only Christ Church, Daylesford but also St Matthews, Hepburn Springs and St Johns, Glenlyon.
Who knew that there were also other churches within the overall and original greater Daylesford parish (e.g. Shepherds Flat and Dry Diggings)? The records include a very early photo of Christ Church before the Stanbridge funded Chancel was added in 1896.
At the turn of last century, the parish was so populated it had its own football and cricket teams. In 1909 the Christ Church Football Club were Premiers, ahead of Wombat Hill (second) and Hepburn (third). The Church also found records of a lavishly costumed production and an elaborate theatrical setting for some sort of production, probably held at the Town Hall.
We must give a big “shout-out” to the Daylesford & District Historical Society and especially Gary Lawrence. Gary has very patiently coached us on the fine art of preserving these irreplaceable records of the Church of England, now Anglican greater parish of Daylesford dating back to goldfields times.
Our small team of Yvonne Deans, Marj Green and Frank Page is about to welcome Jennifer Porter and Susan Priest to our ranks now that we’re back in action with the extensive archive collection.